Eldorado Tournament 2017
Bay Of Islands Swordfish Club
The Club was first registered as an Incorporated Society in 1918 as the Bay of Islands Kingfish Club. In 1924, members of the Kingfish Club decided that the name kingfish did not demonstrate to the wider community the true size of fish that were being caught in the Bay of Islands and moved a motion to change the name to The Bay of Islands Swordfish and Mako Shark Club.
The Kingfish Club was deregistered and the club continued on without being registered for some years. Then in 1952, the Club name was shortened to The Bay of Islands Swordfish Club Inc and that is how it stands today. Game fishing by rod and reel was first started by a few enthusiasts at the turn of the century. In February 1915, Major A.D. Campbell caught the first ever marlin on rod and reel in the Bay of Islands. It was during the mid-1920s that Zane Grey, the American writer and fisherman came to the Bay of Islands and the Bay became famous as a game fishing destination through his book “Tales of the Angler’s El Dorado”.